Most common type of arthritis
• Develop due to DEGENERATION, overuse of knee.
• Repetitive strain injury (RCI)
• Wear and tear of the covering at the bones in the knee gradually, resulting in painful bone on bone rubbing and disrupted movement.
• Deformity is a late stage of OA
• This degeneration is IRREVERSIBLE.
Knee pain and swelling
Difficulty walking, squatting, going up and down the stairs.
Difficulty wearing trousers and getting in and out of car.
• Viscosupplement joint injection acts as a lubricant to enable the joints to move smoothly and reduce pain.
• Depending on the severity of OA, this artificial gel injection may have different duration of outcome.
• Temporary knee brace to reduce pain and improve mobility
• Anti-inflammatory medications
• Reduce weight / maintain proper weight
• Lifestyle changes – no squatting, less climbing stairs, less prolong standing
• The most ideal exercise is hydrotherapy.
When chest level immersion in water, our body weight is reduced by 50%, reducing equivalent pressure on the knees.
POST VISCOSUPPLEMENT INJECTION
• If you have mild pain and swelling at the injection site, rest and put an ice pack on the knee for 15 to 20 mins.
• Avoid too much strain on the knee such as lifting, prolonged standing or walking up to 72 hours after injection.
• Take the medications prescribed by the doctor, especially anti-inflammatory medicines, as well as nerve stabilizers and muscle relaxants.
• Start hydrotherapy 72 hours after injections
• 30 mins each session
• 3 times a week
• Water level in the pool at 1.2 metres
• Knee-chest marching
• Continue over 3 months