Lower back pain is an extremely common condition where every person will have at least one episode in their lives. Lower back pain can be mild and last only for a short duration or severe and chronic. Most patients with lower back pain will resolve within a few weeks however up to 30% of patients may have some other underlying condition
Causes of Lower Back Pain
Patients with lower back pain are often plagued with frustration and distress. They may seek consults with multiple physicians and depending on whom they consult (for example, orthopaedic, neurosurgeon, traditional medicine practitioner, physiotherapist and chiropractor), they may be told different things. These may range from muscle strain, bone degeneration to spinal pain. Doctors may have many ideas about what causes lower back pain, but no single explanation applies to everyone because every patient’s back pain is different.
Common Causes of Back Pain
Lower back pain is commonly related to ageing and stress. This occurs as a result of wear-and-tear on the spine, ligaments and discs, increased pressure applied axially. As such, a disc may begin to protrude or collapse and put pressure on the nerve root leading to a leg or foot, causing pain in those areas (sciatica). The problem can be aggravated by associated conditions, such as narrowing of the canal or shifting of the vertebra (slippage of spine on top of one another).
Occasionally, back pain can also occur with no apparent cause. Nonetheless, the pain experienced is real and should be treated. Neglected, this can become chronic and disabling. Advanced investigations and imaging may not pick up any abnormalities in the spine. Muscle sprains causing back pain may present this way. This type of back pain will need less invasive treatment.
Symptoms of Lower Back Pain
Pain is often felt with lower back movement such as flexion or extension. Most back pain improves with lying down. After the initial severe episode, most will be able to rest at night without severe pain. Pain may exacerbate with carrying heavy loads and some may get relief with stretching or extending their back. Occasionally back pain may accompany pain shooting down to leg and thigh and even down to the foot. This is called sciatica because it follows the course of the nerve. This can be made worse by coughing, sneezing or straining.
60% of back pain may be very severe for a few days or a week and then will often improve. Most will recover by the 2nd to fourth week. This is most often due to injury to the muscles or ligaments. The remaining 40% of patients may experience symptoms including disabling effects which affect standing, sitting and walking, which may result in hospitalization and prolonged medication. These patients usually have a spine disorder, involving nerves, discs and facet joints.
Diagnosis of Lower Back Pain
Determining where the pain originates is the key to the treatment of your lower back pain. During your visit, your physician will take a complete history and examine you thoroughly. Some other important pieces of information will include any other medical conditions or injuries/illnesses that you may have had before or if you have already received any treatment or procedures to your spine.
Radiological investigations may also be done to allow a better look at the structures in your spine
Treatment is then tailored specifically to what is the source of your pain.
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
A range of treatment range from nonsurgical to surgical treatment methods.
Non surgical modalities include rest, bracing, local muscle injections, exercise and stretching, proper posture and lifting techniques, medication, physiotherapy, and activity modifications.
Surgical methods include open surgery such as laminectomy decompression and instrumental fusion of spine or Interventional Pain Procedures such as needle laser decompression or needle ballooning decompression.
When should you seek medical care?
You should consider seeing a doctor when the pain is persistent and affecting your lifestyle. The following symptoms will require urgent consult
Tips for Prevention of Lower Back Pain